Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Walkin' in Memphis


Oh, Memphis. You kicked my butt!

I went with some friends to Memphis this past weekend to see the KY Wildcats play in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. We packed our bags, got some road trip snacks, and settled in for a fun-filled weekend. 


On the way to the stadium we passed St. Jude's Research Hospital. This is my favorite charity, so I was excited to see it in person. 


We heard Central BBQ was a great, local place, so we stopped there for lunch. The line was out the door, but moved really quickly. 


And let me tell you, it did not disappoint. We all got different things so we could try a hodge podge of stuff. Great idea. Do it!
Full rack of ribs. Deemed the best ribs ever by pretty much all of us. 

Brisket
Shredded pork sandwich



BBQ nachos.
 Not pictured was my bbq bologna sandwich. Yes, I said bologna. It was amazing. Everyone agreed. 

We walked to Beale St, which was packed with UK fans.

And went to Tin Roof to get a seat for the KSR pre-game show. While we waited, we listened to this great band of old dudes playing some covers. 

I think this was our only group shot. Fun gang!

Matt, Shannon the Dude, and Drew setting up for the show. 

I talked a bit about the games yesterday, but since it was the reason for the trip, I've got a bit more to share. We saw Bam Adebayo's mom entering the stadium. If you haven't seen her in videos, you should look her up. Her enthusiasm for her son is just awesome!



Before we left last week, I had several ask if the games were still in the pyramid. I quickly learned that they weren't, and that the pyramid was now a giant Bass Pro Shop. I wish we could have visited, because there is a balcony at the top (the dark spots at the top) where you can walk out and see the city. Cool, right?

Some pics of the river.....



We also heard that we must eat at Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. We thought it was a local place, but apparently they are all over. 

Hour long wait, so it must be good!




I read on Yelp to try the fried pickles and mac n cheese. So that's just what I did.


I don't eat fried chicken, so tenders for me.

Back to Beale St for the game.


Memphis, you kicked my butt. I'm too old to be among so many people and out so late, but you were SO MUCH FUN! 

Even though the Elite 8 game ended at the buzzer with major heartbreak, I'm so so glad I got to visit a new city and make new memories with this crazy crew!

Until next time, Memphis. 

I'll be back tomorrow with What's Up Wednesday, and then my recap of Graceland on Thursday (because this post is long enough, ha!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10