Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Save vs. Splurge

Saving vs. splurging. This will be difficult for me because Im the worst at saving! My friends will laugh when they see this title, because Melanie save? Hahahaha. 

Save
I don't save much, as I said, but there are a few things that I will skimp on. 

Groceries
I usually go to the grocery 1-2 times a month, and when I do, I don't spend a lot. I typically buy grocery store brand items on most things, unless I just know I don't like them. 

Makeup
For the most part, I'm okay with wearing products that are cheaper. My favorite eyeliner is Cover Girl for $6. I wear $7 Mary Kay eye shadow. And while I don't have specific or favorite mascara or foundation, you won't see my paying $50 for either.


Splurge
I feel like I should preface here that my "splurges" are not on the same level as others. I don't spend hundreds on a pair of shoes or an item of clothing. Splurging to me is probably pretty basic to others.

Eating Out
I've mentioned before, but I eat out way more than I eat at home (I need to do better). But honestly, it gets expensive buying ingredients for actual meals (and a lot of time to cook), so it's just easier for me to eat out. I also get what I want; I know people that can eat Mexican for $10 bucks. But I get the cheese dip and the drink and the dish I want. I want to enjoy it!

Clothes/Shoes
I used to be all about buying the cheaper clothes and shoes so I could have more. But more isn't always best. That cute top from Old Navy? It would shrink in the wash and I couldn't wear it again. Those cute shoes for $10? So uncomfortable! I have found as I've gotten older that it's best to invest in comfy shoes that will last. Invest in tops that wash and wear well.  I'm also not jumping to buy a clearance top that is okay, just because it's cheap! If I don't love it, I'm not buying it! #KonMarieMethod

Jewelry
Before I sold Silpada, I bought Premier and Lia Sophia and other costume jewelry. And as cute as it was, it always tarnished and would turn my skin green. Seriously. It was embarrassing. Then I was introduced to Silpada sterling silver jewelry. Yes, it is expensive (compared to costume jewels), but it was worth it because it was well made and I didn't have to worry about it with  my skin! I felt okay spending $100 on a necklace I knew would last.  While Silpada no longer has reps, I still wear my pieces. And I have costume jewelry too, but I don't spend much on it at all!

Bags
Since carrying my Michael Kors and Kate Spade, I've found that cheaper bags just aren't for me. I like that they hold up really well and are also good for resale. My ultimate goal is to buy a Louis Vuitton bag. However, I've got a goal to reach before I'm going to allow myself to do that.... and let's just say it may be awhile. ;)

What do you save and splurge on? I'd love to hear!



Linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals!

And here are the topics if you'd like to link up as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Great steals and splurges! I do the same with my bags as well!

    ReplyDelete

09 10