Wednesday, January 11, 2017

17 in 2017

17 goals to accomplish in 2017.

I've seen this floating around the interwebs, and thought, "what a great idea!" Then when I saw that Shay and Erika wanted us to share our goals, I knew it would be a perfect way to list my goals. Let's be honest, if we don't share them and write them down, do we really do them? You may, but I certainly don't/won't. 


Let's break it down. 

One-A-Day Bible challenge
I've always been ashamed that I haven't read through the Bible. It just seemed so overwhelming to me. Then I saw The One Year Bible Challenge on someone's blog, pinned it to my wishlist, and Mom bought it for me for Christmas. I'm only on Day 11, but so far, so good. I look forward to picking it up and reading the short passages chosen for that specific day. If you're interested, this book has passages from both the Old and New Testament, from Proverbs and from Psalms. I really like it so far, and encourage you to pick it up if you've also been wanting to try reading the Bible in a year.

blog 5 days a week
I like reading my favorite blogs daily, and I feel good when I actually write 5 days a week. I know some posts are better than others. And that's ok. But I also feel like if I don't blog regularly, I get into that habit. I've had better feedback, too, when I blog daily, so I hope to continue that into 2017.

send just because letters
I love nothing more than to get a handwritten note. Doesn't it just make you feel good? I try to send these to friends, but I don't do it often enough. I have a goal to send at least one a month. For no reason at all. 

no sodas
I am addicted to sodas. Sprite, Coke, orange soda....I could drink my weight in them daily. But not only does it add on the pounds, I know it is so so bad for me. I think this is a goal I have every year, but I really do need to try to do better. 

pay down credit card
I'm embarrassed at my credit card debt. I mean, it's not insane or anything, but it is way more than I'm comfortable with. I would like to make a huge dent in it this year. 

1 question a day
I saw someone post about this book too (again, I can't remember who), but they answer one question a day in this book. It could be anything from what did you have for lunch today, share something good that happened today, or how do you feel about ____. I've yet to order it, but I just think it is so cool to do and then have to look back on. 

practice lettering
I'm a huge fan of the faux calligraphy- prints, cards, wall hangings. I wish that I could do it, but I'm not very good. I've bought some pens, and have vowed to practice. I mean, we all have to start somewhere, right?

read 35 books in 2017
I participate in Goodreads Reading Challenge every year, which just means I pick a number of books I want to read every year, and they provide a place to keep track. I surpassed my 20 books goal last year by 13, so I would like to try to read 2 more books over that. We'll see! Follow me on Goodreads if you'd like to keep up or start your own reading challenge. 

learn to say NO
I'm a people-pleaser. I never want to let anyone down. I also suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out), so even if I don't necessarily want to go somewhere with others, I will anyway because I don't want to miss anything. I know, super weird. But this year, I want to change that. I want to say no and be comfortable with that decision. 

get rid of clutter
I just love stuff. It's sad really, but even after decluttering when I moved, and then again to have a garage sale, I still just have too much stuff. #america I want to quit buying things just because I like them. I want to get rid of stuff I don't need or have room for. I want to simplify!

impromptu marshmallow roast
I have the best patio for friends with a fire pit that my parents gave me. Why have I not taken advantage of that yet??? I want to invite some friends over, roast marshmallows, make s'mores, and hang out. Sounds fun, right?

cook dinner for my family at least 4x
I've had a holiday meal at my house a few times last year, but only because my parents' kitchen was being remodeled. I want to cook for them, just because, and have everyone over. Why do I never do this?

drink more water
This goes hand in hand with no sodas. If I'm not drinking sodas, I will have to drink more water. 

try new restaurants
I love eating. Like I plan hanging out with friends around food. Instead of eating at the same ole chains, I'd love to branch out and try new places! It's hard to do in my small hometown, but Bowling Green isn't that far and this shouldn't be that hard to do!

be more positive
I'm the Queen of Negativity. And that's embarrassing. I need to quit griping and complaining so much, and just be positive! Lord help me with this one!

save more $$$
I've talked about paying down my credit card, but I also want to add more to my savings. I don't have much in there, but would like to add a little here and there. I think that I think I have to add big sums if I'm going to deposit anything, but that's silly. I can add $20 here, $50 there and every little bit helps. Right?

work smarter
Work. I can't believe I added that here. I get so side-tracked with blogging, and reading, and checking facebook and twitter, and sometimes forget the reason I'm here. I let things pile up, then am a grump when I have to do so much at once. HELLO, MELANIE! Wake up, sista! Do it as it comes in, remember why I'm here, and be the best dang worker I can be. 

17. 
17 goals that I know I can do in 2017.
What about you? What would you add to your list?

PS. 
I'm still taking a reader survey to see what you all like and don't like on this blog. Please click HERE to give me some feedback. I promise it's just a few short questions!


Linking up with Shay and Erika today! Head over to read their goals and the other ladies' goals that link up too!


And if you want to join in and add Workin' It Wednesday to your blog planner, here are the other topics for the year!

6 comments:

  1. I love you broke it down into 17 for 2017 and the impromptu marshmallow roast made me smile. Who doesn't love a good smore? Although, I'm not sure how well that would work out with my no sugar goal. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Probably not, but one can't hurt! ;)

      Delete
  2. I think your handwriting is gorgeous! It's the first thing I noticed on your post! So the hand lettering is probably right up your alley!!! I gave up coke last summer and it has been the best thing ever! It was SO hard, but I don't even miss it now! You have great goals for this year!!!! Go get 'em girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hate my writing, and know it will never be as good as those Instagram artists, but I want to try anyway! I had Coke on Saturday, I know...I broke down..., and it didn't even taste right. Hoping I can stick to it!

      Delete
  3. Great goals, Melanie! I just know you can accomplish every single one of these. I can't wait to hear at the end of the year how you did! I'll be cheering you on across the world wide web! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's so sweet of you to say!

      Delete

09 10