Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Book Reviews

It's time for another month of book reviews!

November was a busy month, and I feel like I read the most books at the beginning of the month, and then kind of had a lull in the reading department. 



-1-
See Me by Nicholas Sparks
As with any Nicholas Sparks book, this one certainly had a love story with trials and tribulations. What I didn't expect, as a long time Sparks fan/reader, was the suspense and dark storyline that came along with the love story. Totally unexpected, but welcomed. Easy to read, easy to get caught up in, and easy to love. Characters were enjoyable. Plot was interesting. Sparks has another hit! (4/5 stars)



-2-
Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
(Book club selection)

D e p r e s s i n g!
I have seen a lot of great reviews for this book, so I was pretty excited to read it. Even the inside jacket seemed intriguing. Until I started. Even then, I gave it a chance, because GOOD REVIEWS! Nope. I read the entire book, all 320 pages, and even then I was waiting for the good part.

Basically, a tragedy happens to a family and the book is about the lasting affects it has on a family. Except nothing that happens to the family is in relation to the tragedy. The book was from different view points. The plot was long and boring and depressing. I couldn't wait to be finished so I could stop with the depressing story.


After I wrote that review on my Goodreads account, I found out that this was based on Patchett's actual life. She moved across country as a child, lived in a combined family home, and her dad was on the police force in LA, actually having helped to apprehend Charles Manson! Patchett also lives in Nashville and is co-owner of a bookstore there. I wish I had known all of this before that reading, because it would have given me a different perspective of the novel. Instead of thinking it was just a depressing book, I could have looked at is as a memoir of sorts, instead of all fiction. (Goodreads: 2/5 stars; Now: 3/5 stars)



-3-
French Roast by Ava Miles
(#CollaboReads selection)

French Roast was a light-hearted, quick, easy, read for those that like chick-lit, romance novels.  Good plot. Cheesy, over the top dialog between characters. But an easy, light-hearted read. 

I actually read this book for my #Collaboreads book club linkup. The criteria for November was to choose a book with food in the title, about food, by a chef, etc. I chose French Roast because it was on my kindle app already, a .99 cent book a few months back. (I had initially wanted to read The Pioneer Woman's (Ree Drummond) memoir, but it wasn't available at my library.

#collaboreads uses the acronym R.E.A.D.S. to review the book selection.I'm just combined these posts/reviews to make it easier.

Riveting. 
What part of the book could you not get enough of. Brian. The long lost love of Jill. He was dreamy and romantic and handsome and I would have scooped him up!

Elements.
How did you relate to/care for the characters? What's your thought on the plot line and twists and turns? I'm definitely as awkward as Jill. Self-conscious too. I would love to own a business and a little coffee shop would be a dream. However, I'm not a big coffee drinker, so maybe a bookstore with a little coffee counter would be suitable for me. 

Plot was good. Kept me wanting to read more. I got frustrated with how dumb Jill and Brian were being with each other, but that's life.

Associate.
What other books are like this one? If none, did it remind you of a particular TV or movie with it's themes and characters? Does it serendipitous-ly line-up with things going on in your life or the news right now? With the coffee shop, it kind of reminded me a Hallmark movie. I could even see the annoying red-headed actress from those movies playing Jill. She got on my nerves as much as that actress did. Ha.

Design. 
You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? How did it relate to the contents of the novel? And the font and layout of the pages? I liked this cover, it's what drew me into the book anyway.  It reminded me of a chilly fall day and one being inside all warm and cozy. I read this on my ipad, so not sure about the layout and font. 

Stars.
How many out of five do you give this book? Would you recommend this book to a friend?
(3/5 stars) I would think a friend would like this book, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. Maybe borrowing it from a friend or library would work. 




-4-
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

You guys. Where have I been for the last year? This book. So good! It's early, but I'm going to go on and dub this one the best book of the year. Yep. The best! Such a good story about the relationship of two people in a very unlikely situation. It wasn't forced. It was natural and sweet. The plot was great, the writing was so so good. You could feel the emotions of the characters. You felt their pain and celebrated their minor victories. It felt like you were standing in a room and watching everything unfold. I just can't say enough about it. Loved it! (5/5 stars)


See my other book reviews from 2016. 

Or follow me on Goodreads or my page Mel Reads to see what I'm reading currently.


Which of these books do you think you would be interested in, if any. 

Do you all like these book reviews? Tell me what you think in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I am interested in the Nicholas Sparks book! I love your reviews - very thorough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes, Me Before You. The movie is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the collaboreads link-up. Cozy, easy reads are fun! Glad you enjoyed the book overall, even with the cheesy dialogue :) I read My Life In France by Julia Child for the link up and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete

09 10