Wednesday, October 26, 2016

#collaboReads: A Book with Fall in the Title

I started this book as a #collaboReads linkup. The month's criteria was to read a book with the word "fall" in the title. After searching B&N for "fall", I found All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner. I've read Weiner's books before and thought she had a great sense of humor and very relateable characters, so this was an easy choice.


#collaboreads uses the READS review system, so here we go!

R- Riveting. What part of the book could you not get enough of?
I couldn't wait to see how Allison would get caught. And when she was, I couldn't wait to see what Allison was like after rehab. Would she change? Would her marriage survive?

E- Elements. How did you relate to/care for the characters? What are your thoughts on the plot line and twists and turns?
I really liked and related to what the protagonist was going through. Unlike Allison, I'm not a wife and mother and taking care of ailing parents, BUT I do know what it is like to stress and to want something to help me through the day. To want something to handle the stress. Weiner does a great job of making someone with an addiction like me. I could see how easily it was for Allison to add one or two more pills to her day until it became a full on addiction. I have no personal knowledge or relations to anything or anyone with addiction so I can't understand, but Weiner makes the issue seem real and like it could happen to anyone. I do wonder how accurate her details of the life and rehab are. I have no idea.

A- Associate. What other books are like this? If none, did it remind you of a particular TV show or movie with it's themes and characters? Does it go along with what's going on in your life or the news right now?
All Fall Down did remind me of 28 Days with Sandra Bullock, which was mentioned in the book. Also of Girl, Interrupted, which is totally different, but I kept seeing scenes in that movie while reading the book. Not sure why.

D- Design. You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think? How did it relate to the contents of the novel? And the font and layout of the pages?
It took me a minute, but I now get why Weiner chose a roller coaster as the front cover. Because life is like a crazy one. You're up and down and it flies by and you are thrown curves every day. Interesting.

S- Stars. How many stars out of 5 do you give this book?
3/5
I liked the book, but I had trouble staying with it. It wasn't something I just couldn't put down. Perhaps because addiction is so foreign to me. Maybe because I'm not a mom or wife or as busy as Allison. Not sure. Weiner did a great job of writing, but I wasn't dying to get through the pages to see what was coming.

Other thoughts?
I'd love to hear from or read a review of someone, like Allison, who seemingly has it all together, has the "perfect life", but has an addiction. Was this book accurate? I'd love to know.

Visit Rachel A. Dawson blog for more details about the #collaboReads linkup and what we're all reading.

(from Rachel's blog):

FOR NEXT MONTH:

November's theme is A Foodie Book. Since we'll be gearing up for Thanksgiving and cooking/eating all the delicious things, it just makes sense to read a book about food! Choose a cookbook or a memoir or a book with a food-ish title or whatever you'd like!

We'll link up on November 30!




3 comments:

  1. I really liked this book when I read it a few years ago. The whole drug addiction peaked my interest because I find it so hard to understand how people become addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the movie 28 Days! And that is awesome that the author was able to make the character relatable even if the reader may have never dealt with addiction. Sounds like a good read!

    Here is my #collaboreads fall book: https://elle-alice.blogspot.ca/2016/10/collaboreads-birds-in-fall.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a few years ago. I like Jennifer Weiner's writing style, it is relatable. An addiction with pills like this I wondered if some of her experiences were plausible. I found it odd that she could acquire the pills so easily. It's a challenge just to get birth control I find. They give me only a 3 month supply each time (so annoying) and each prescription is entered into a computer that each doctor has access to when they input my health care number.

    ReplyDelete

09 10