Thursday, September 29, 2016

September Book Reviews

I've been on a reading kick lately, and I'm so glad to be back in the groove, so to speak.


Today I thought I'd share with you what I've been reading this month and how I liked or disliked the books I read. Hopefully you will find something that intrigues you. :)

A Little Salty To Cut The Sweet
by Sophie Hudson


I just finished Sophie Hudson's Home Sweet Home Collection, and you all, she is so so good! I've mentioned Hudson in several posts, but I just love her that much. You all must check her out. 

The collection includes two of Sophie's books. 
A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet is a book about Sophie's family. Anecdotes from her life to make you cry and laugh and want to be part of Sophie's crazy, southern family. Little stories with a lot of faith and even more humor thrown in. I laughed throughout the whole book. So so good. 




by Sophie Hudson


Home is Where My People Are is Sophie's journey across the deep south as a youngster, college gal, newlywed, and seasoned mom. It's about the relationships she has in each of her homes, and how they influenced her throughout her life. This one has a little more faith and just as much humor as A Little Salty. If you're looking for a feel-good book, choose one, or both, of these!




by Emily Giffin


Depressing. That's the word that comes to mind when I think of what I read when I finished this book. The two protagonists, Josie and Meredith, are not likable whatsoever. The book is basically how their family member's death affects their entire life. You see these sisters in a couple of weeks in their life and let me just say, it's all depressing. The characters, the plot, the climax. Nothing exciting. Nothing extraordinary. Just kind of blah. While I think the "writing" was pretty good, the plot just wasnt. I kept reading to see what the big secret was, and even it was boring. Sorry, friends. I just don't recommend this one.

I do want to note that my fellow book club ladies loved it. They thought it was cute and ended well. So there ya go. Everyone has different opinions, and you may actually like this book!




by M.L. Stedman


I've had this on my To-Read list for awhile now, but as soon as I saw previews for the release of the movie, I knew I had to read it first. 

 I absolutely loved this book. I kept waiting for the climax to come, and thoroughly enjoyed the process. I loved learning about Tom and why he's so quiet and reserved, and about Isabel, who is so full of life and energy. Their story is almost sweet, despite their losses. And when the result of their actions causes much strife, you still root for them. For all of them- Tom, Isabel, and Hannah, the baby's biological mother. 

Stedman, as a writer, is magnificent. She develops the characters very well, the plot is interesting and keeps you wanting to read more, and the level of writing is perfect. I cant say enough good about this book.


With finishing The Light Between Oceans, I have finished my Goodreads Reading Challenge. At the beginning of the year, I decided I wanted to read 20 books this year. I completed that in September! Woohoo!


If you want to stay up to date with what I'm reading, check out my Mel Reads tab at the top of my page or follow me on Goodreads

What have y'all been reading this month?

3 comments:

  1. Fun. I always love to hear what people are reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been SO bad at reading this whole year! I've only finished one book. Currently I'm reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, and next I'm reading The Girl on the Train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the same about Emily Giffin's latest book which is why I haven't read it yet. Nothing can beat Something Blue which is my favorite! I read The Light Between Oceans a few years ago and it was wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete

09 10